Many businesses hesitate to hire a collection agency, thinking that their debtor/patient will pay their bill sooner or later. The fact is that the more you wait, the chances of getting paid drop almost 10% each month.
Indications that it’s time to seek help when you observe these situations or statements.
- Abuse of your written policies and procedures.
- Broken promises – “The check is in the mail”, but it never arrives.
- Unable to reach by phone with typical responses (voicemail, in a meeting, consistent non-answered calls).
- Disconnected phone number, the phone number has changed to unlisted, or they have blocked your number.
- Missed payments, payments becoming smaller or less frequent.
- Disputed balance, disputed the quality of service provided.
- The patient says “You will get paid when I get paid”.
- Admission of inability to pay.
- A bounced check or no response.
Most non-paying debtors/patients have an inability to pay … or you are simply not their priority to pay.